Can Some Fatal Car Accidents Be Prevented?
Losing a loved one is a terrible experience but when that death could have been avoided it can be overwhelming. Fatal car accidents claim thousands of lives each year in the United States. Learning the common causes of fatal car accidents may help drivers learn how to avoid situations that cause car accidents. One recent study looked at what causes the most fatal car crashes in each state including California.
Common Causes of Fatal Car Accidents
- Improper Turn – According to this study, the leading cause of fatal car accidents in California is improper turns. This is an easily preventable accident but it could also be our most common cause of fatal car accidents because of another cause — distracted driving.
- Distracted Driving – Distracted driving is the leading cause of car accidents throughout the United States. When a driver is distracted by using a cell phone, eating, grooming, reading, or any other activity other than driving, mistakes happens like improper turns. How can we avoid distracted driving — simply pay attention to our driving and leave the rest for when we arrive at our destination.
- Reckless or Careless Driving – Arkansas is the state that leads in this type of fatal car accident. It is easy to become reckless and careless when we forget we are operating potential “weapons” that are more dangerous than some other weapons.
- Road Rage – Road rage has become a huge problem but especially for Indiana, South Carolina, Delaware, Colorado, and Montana (the top five states for road rage fatal car accidents). Road rage has more to do with the person than the road. If you have a temper, consider taking an anger management class to avoid this type of car crash.
- Disobeying Traffic Laws – These causes of fatal car accidents are almost always preventable if we simply obey traffic laws. The study found that improper lane changes; failure to keep in proper lane; failure to yield right of way; failure to obey traffic signs and signals; driving on the wrong side of the road; and speeding are major causes of fatal car accidents throughout the United States.
- Drunk or Drugged Driving – This cause of fatal car accidents is 100% preventable. It is sad that we still see fatal car accidents because someone chose to drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.
- Bad Weather – You cannot stop bad weather but you can take extra care when driving in bad weather. Slow down and pay more attention when you are driving in bad weather to help avoid the risk of fatal car accidents.
You may not be able to avoid all accidents; however, you can try. If you are involved in a motor vehicle accident, you have rights if the accident was caused by another driver. You can recover compensation for your lost wages, medical bills, property damage, funeral expenses, physical pain, and emotional suffering. An experienced personal injury attorney in Fresno, CA can help you.
Contact a Fresno, CA Car Accident Attorney
Call Torem & Associates at (888) 500-5000 or use our convenient online contact form to schedule a free consultation. You may also chat with a representative on our website 24/7 for your convenience.